As organizations move towards file-based media production and distribution, many find it difficult to manage media (essence) files in a holistic manner - and are constrained by the need for a secure long-term solution to store and archive digital media for reduced cost and cross-channel media distribution.
IBM Archive and Essence Manager is a multi-format essence management application that is designed to orchestrate the workflow for processing and archiving large media files, particularly in the broadcast industry.
Why is IBM’s Archive and Essence Manager better than other applications?
IBM Archive and Essence Manager is being used by broadcast clients worldwide. It can be scaled easily to handle large workloads and has built-in mechanisms to provide high availability and stability. The mix of online and nearline storage provides optimal overall balance between fast access and cost effectiveness. IBM Archive and Essence Manager:
- Provides functionality to build workflows (called "jobs") in order to orchestrate the tasks performed on the media files and uses independent agents to execute specific tasks. There are over 100 different agents available - ready to be used in customer's workflows.
- Is flexible software that can be used in small or large scale deployments with a focus on archiving use cases or on orchestrating file-based (technical) workflows and processes.
- Has open interfaces (SOAP, REST, FIMS and others), a comprehensive user interface and is pre-integrated with many video and media platforms. It also integrates easily with business process tools such as IBM WebSphere Business Process Manager.
- Reduces infrastructure and operational costs by enabling a services layer that offers essence services such as transfer, analyze, transcode, store and archive to all media management applications in the enterprise.
- Improves transparency and control over processes and transactions by using workflow and business rules on an essence level, extensive monitoring tools and a portal-based user interface.
- Supports the open Linear Tape File System (LTFS) as well as IBM Tivoli Storage Manager for archiving in automated tape libraries.
- Provides specific functionality such as project archiving or import automation for Avid Interplay™ products.
A LFTS-specific edition of IBM's Archive and Essence Manager is sold under the brand name of "IBM LTFS Storage Manager".