To succeed in today's environment, businesses need to lead through increased complexity and volatility, drive operational excellence and enable collaboration across enterprise functions, develop higher quality leadership and talent, and manage amidst constant change.
IBM Strategy and Transformation (S&T) integrates IBM's management consulting capabilities to enable client success through executable strategies, and deliver value through technology-enabled transformation. Achieve end-to-end transformation, from strategy to implementation, and gain efficiency in cross-functional collaboration.
In business, this has always been true. But now a new breed of customer is dictating a new set of terms in the dynamic between buyers and sellers. Customers approach a sale empowered by technology and transparency, with more extensive information from more sources than ever before. They expect to engage with companies when and how they want, in person, online and on the go. And they want these methods to tie together seamlessly.
- Read more about Smarter Commerce
The smarter commerce opportunity
recognizes that the sale is just one aspect of the experience. As with traditional commerce, the customer is at the center of all operations. Smarter commerce turns customer insight into action, enabling new business processes that help companies buy, market, sell and service their products and services.
Learn about new Integrated solutions for Fall 2012 (US)
Integrating business insight with technological possibilities is essential to innovation. As time goes on, more and more organizations amend their view of technology and “IT” and acknowledge the strategic impact that technology has on all areas of the business. But the impact of technological change is expanding at an unprecedented pace. Technology strategy is a primary driver of the physical to digital transformation; the analytics that capture customer insights and drive product and brand extensions; and the envisioning of cloud-enabled business models that open the door to new revenue streams.
- Read more about Technology Strategy
IBM technology strategy consulting services help leading organizations create value and achieve competitive advantage through the optimized alignment of technology and business strategy. Some of our services include:
- IT performance management: Services that improve IT performance and help organizations get the most value from their IT spending
- IT strategy and transformation: Approaches that bring together IBM's solutions frameworks to help articulate future direction, infuse and align your business strategy with technology opportunities, and build a roadmap to innovate your enterprise
Operations and Supply Chain Strategy
Business leaders understand the importance of high performing, highly efficient and responsive supply chains in meeting market demands, creating efficiency and profit margins, and driving sustainable competitive advantage. From managing suppliers and procurement processes through the planning, manufacturing and inventory functions, business leaders are acutely focused on making their operations more responsive and efficient. This includes improving responsiveness to customers, reducing energy and other resource use, optimizing core processes, applying technology to automate processes, reducing cycle time/complexity, increasing return on capital employed and integrating functional business processes. In addition, new imperatives, including emerging markets, sustainability, and heightened risks, require that leaders and companies are prepared to drive change smartly, act decisively and remain flexible enough to adjust course as necessary.
- Read more about Operations and Supply Chain Strategy
Operations and Supply Chain services focus on identifying and quantifying supply chain improvements and assisting clients in transforming their operations, from suppliers to the customer, to drive competitive advantage.
IBM has one of the broadest portfolios of alliances with leading and emerging supply chain vendors, making our practice the single source for leading and comprehensive operations and supply chain management solutions.
IBM offers distinctive advisory and process design services for critical supply chain operations, including both supply and demand side processes. Our services include:
- Target operating model: Provides current operational maturity assessment and roadmap to defining and/or improving a client's Operations Strategy. Key deliverables include business review, current operating model assessment, desired future state and change management plan roadmap.
- Supply chain strategy: Develops and implements supply chain strategy and implementation roadmap based on capability gap assessment and visioning to achieve supply chain obhjectives including network and inventory optimization, integrated business planning, sales & operations planning, and supply chain visibility. Gaps assestment component examples include includes inventory positioning and deployment, inventory policy development, safety stock and inventory levels, and network strategy (design, facility type and location), make versus buy decisions, all leveraging internal and third party analytical tools.
- Process excellence (Lean, Lean Sigma): Drives process transformation, utilizing combinations of Lean, Lean Sigma, rapid process change (RPC), business process management (BPM), and IBM's operational transformation method
- Logistics strategy & operations (WMS, TMS): Improves logistics functions through enhanced business processes, organization structure and capabilities to optimize warehouse and transportation management.
- Procurement transformation: Develops and improves procurement strategy and capabilities using the procurement maturity assessment to identify gaps and implement transformational changes. Transforms procurement capabilities to drive competitive advantage through improvements in procurement policies, processes (i.e. strategic sourcing, supplier relationship management, contract management), metrics and technology enablers.
- Strategic Profit Improvement: Improve profit by focusing on cost reduction, asset optimization and revenue growth. Identify non-value added costs and establish a long-term framework for cost reduction including information and process standardization, application rationalization, organization structure and working capital improvements. Also measures for revenue enhancement.
- Global location strategies: Help clients locate, relocate assets (plants, warehouses, x-docks, contract manufacturers, co-packers) to optimize manufacturing and ops strategy. Related to our target operating model and network strategy offerings.
- Supply Chain sustainability management: Enable simultaneously optimizing environmental and operational performance goals, including improving inventory levels, inventory policies, pricing, distribution network structuring, transportation planning and supply planning.
- Sustainability strategy: Helps clients better understand sustainability opportunities and challenges in order to optimize costs, enhance revenues, and manage risk in a fast changing global environment. Defines an overarching sustainability strategy, aligned with corporate strategy, to capture value from sustainability initiatives and enable change required to implement specific sustainability actions. Provides the high level business case for potential initiatives (e.g., procurement, green sigma, green IT, etc) to help clients prioritize sustainability investments.
- Product development and PLM strategy: Transform innovation processes and build new PLM/innovation capabilities to save cost, accelerate product introduction, and design and build better products.
- Service lifecycle management: Manage a service offering from ideation though creation through delivery and end-of-life, and enable new capabilities, such as methodology enablement, learning systems, knowledge management, career stage management and other activities. Includes optimizing business operations via asset lifecycle management.
Organization and Workforce Transformation
Driving innovation and growth in today's business environment requires focus on your organization and workforce capabilities. The ability to manage costs, drive productivity and gain a competitive advantage from the workforce is growing in importance and focus. Today's dynamic workforce is increasingly globally dispersed, multigenerational and multicultural. Effective management requires an integrated and consistent approach to help drive cost savings, efficiency, retention, quality, customer satisfaction and innovation.
Additionally, times of extended economic uncertainty require even more focus on specific areas of your workforce strategy. In order to position your organization for future success, you must differentiate high and low performers, stimulate social networking to create and leverage organizational knowledge of your globally dispersed workforce, promote the development of institutional knowledge, embrace flexible work environments, and enable leadership to guide individuals through the change.
- Read more about Organization and Workforce Transformation
IBM's Organization and Workforce Transformation offering assists clients with two transformational imperatives: firstly, it enables them to transform their workforce into the productive, innovative and high-performance force necessary to survive and thrive; secondly it manages the people elements in any transformation being undertaken (process optimization, business model transformation, etc.) Our services include:
- Learning transformation: Addresses the need to inspire and equip people in business to improve performance, skills and knowledge for the following results: aligning learning initiatives with organizational and business goals, developing learning strategies, and harnessing the power of technology to enhance learning and performance.
- Talent management: Design strategies and solutions to align talent management with business priorities, covering talent sourcing, performance, succession management and rewards and recognition. This solution includes process design, systems implementation, change management and talent analytics.
- Social business: Drive innovation and growth by connecting people to people, people to data and information, and people to personal and institutional knowledge inside an organization and across the larger organizational ecosystem.
- Workforce analytics and optimization: This offering leverages analytics to design evidence-based strategies and practices for optimizing workforce performance and productivity to develop information strategies, and a workforce measurement framework, which can help identify key metrics and align with employee goals.
- Organization design: Organization design enables enterprises to align their organization with new or existing business models and strategies to maximize effectiveness by clarifying work responsibilities and redefining jobs and their relationships to one another (structure), governance mechanisms, and other organizational elements to drive new behaviour supporting strategic change and business results.
- Change management: Change management is a proactive and systematic approach to deal with change from the perspective of an organization, a group, or at the individual level. Change management helps ensure that people impacted by the changes (technology) understand, accept and commit to changes; thereby mitigating risks and achieving long term benefits faster.
Intelligent Cost Reduction for IT
As the economic downturn deepens top performing managers are focused on cutting their costs in the most intelligent way possible, reducing their overall costs whilst protecting the essential elements of their businesses that keep them successful. Most of the "soft targets" have been sacrificed so it is inevitable that the focus will move on to driving down the overall cost of IT.
- Read more on Intelligent Cost Reduction…
It can seem easy to cut discretionary spending to deliver short term cost savings but this can have devastating impacts on service quality or performance, with corresponding impacts on the performance of the business and the services provided to our customers, leading to reductions in demand and even more challenges as business growth declines. This requires a new focus to help deliver significant and sustainable cost reductions, whilst enhancing the performance of the business.
IBM’s “Intelligent Cost Reduction” (ICR) proposition is based on “designing out” non-value added costs rather than “hacking” out costs across your organisation that may negatively impact on your ability to recover when the economic environment eventually improves. Within just a few weeks we can provide valuable insights, with focused business cases and implementation plans to achieve the targeted cost reduction in overall spend, whilst freeing up resources to enhance overall capabilities. We have dedicated professionals with experience in both your industry and across an array of different industries, who will bring their experience, expertise and proprietary tools to deliver a structured Cost Reduction program to meet your needs.
- We have a highly experienced team who know where to look and what to look for.
- Our expertise ranges from unique reduction opportunities, to process improvement, from organisation redesign and change management to IT rationalisation /outsourcing.
- Have in-depth knowledge and experience – across a variety of industries with different business models and strategies.
- Experienced in delivering Sustainable Cost Savings of >10%
- Quickly identify and assess the sources of cost and make intelligent recommendations to reduce the cost base while minimising the impact to business operations
- Focused analysis driving both immediate and sustainable cost reduction into the future
- Unique and comprehensive techniques and diagnostics to support a deep dive into functions and processes and accelerate the delivery of results.
- Risk assessment of identified opportunities with clear guidance on how to manage/mitigate these risks.
- Robust business cases created for prioritised cost reduction initiatives with clear plans for implementation and
- Benefits tracking/realisation to ensure that benefits are delivered
Only IBM has the experience, skills and unique implementation capability to deliver tangible, sustainable benefits for your organization now and for the future.
Our ICR engagements are typically 6-8 weeks in duration, covering analysis and design. Once we have agreed and communicated the functions and processes in scope, we will segment your organisation into functional elements and components to identify and size cost reduction opportunity areas including any that you have already identified. Typical deliverables include:
- Focused Analysis of your cost base identifying areas of opportunity using our experience and, where appropriate, utilises IBM’s Component Business Modeller (CBM)
- Prioritised cost reduction opportunities across your organization (or in a specific area identified by you), using data provided by you together with our experience of similar organisations both in your industry and beyond, gained from similar exercises across the globe.
- Relevant Benchmarking comparisons, where beneficial, to measure and compare your current performance with that of your peers
- Business case(s) for cost reduction and clear plan for benefits realisation
- Risk assessment and prioritisation of identified opportunities, to enable you to deliver the proposed improvement efficiently and effectively.
- Implementation Roadmap designed to minimise risk, and maximise near term realisation
- Benefits tracking tools to help you to plan, monitor and control the delivery of the agreed benefits.